How To: Dyeing!

In this day and age people are looking to methods of recycling that they may not have ever even considered before to make the most out of their clothes.  This week I've caught onto dyeing.
For a while my Mum has been dyeing old jackets and trousers black for the autumn/winter season and this year I thought I'd join her!

  1. Firstly you choose the clothes that you wish to dye, I chose a skirt, top and dress (all, coincedentally 100% polyester and from Forever 21, weird) and a denim waistcoat from New Look.  As you can se the skirt is pink, the dress is purple and the top is a weird mauve-y colour.  The waistcoat is white and floral, it was perfect for the summer but I'll get a lot more wear out of it this season if it's dark.
  2. Buy the dye.  I bought Dylon Velvet Black Wash and Dye from Dunelm Mill, at £4.99 for a 400g pack.  
  3. Follow the instructions on the pack itself (they vary depending on brand to brand)
Unfortunately the 100% polyester clothing didn't dye, however the denim came out perfectly.  Although be warned that the stitching will come through (I think it looks effective).

So, next time you're going to throw out that jacket, jeans or shirt, don't! Dye them, mgive them a whole new lease of life.

Thank you!
Ellie x


0 comments: