this is what happens when people who aren't in education make decisions about education




I was revising for my English Literature A2 exam which I sit a week Friday when it dawned on me how I might never have been interested in undertaking an A-level in English Literature had I not read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for my GCSE exam in year 10.  I have always loved reading but I believe that this book has and will always stay with me.


Michael Gove has changed the syllabus of English GCSE to be rid of classics like Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men', Arthur Miller's play 'The Crucible' and my favourite book, 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee.  These books confront topics like social exclusion, prejudice and politics.  Why would cutting these benefit the youth of today? It is not like these are themes that are no longer relevant, in fact they are themes which we probably bear witness to each and every day.  They teach lessons that stay with the reader for life, Atticus' iconic quotes such as 'you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb into his skin and walk around in it' and Miss Maudie's 'Mockingbirds don't do one thing make music for us to enjoy...but sing their hearts out for us.  That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird'.  These quotes are about acceptance, about loving and appreciating one another.  Why shouldn't 14-15 year olds be reading these?  I can't think of any reason.

What's the alternative?  At least one Shakespeare play, at least one 19th Century novel, a selection of post 1789 poetry including Romantic poetry and fiction or drama from the British Isles post 1914.  Also, all texts should be written originally in English.

In my two years of GCSE I studied 'The Tempest', the metaphysical poets like John Donne, 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha', 'A Taste of Honey', an interview between Lady Gaga on Jonathan Ross to examine colloquial language and other speaking devices alongside writing and a creative piece.  Therefore, I did study at least one Shakespeare play and both fiction and drama from post 1914, all from the British Isles.  I don't have an issue with reading British work, but I do have a problem with reading only British work.

I feel as though Gove is missing the fact that it can be English GCSE that plants the seeds to make people love the subject.  By forcing upon us texts that are all from the same roots how will those who do not read for pleasure ever discover anything different, perhaps stopping them from ever reading for pleasure.  This isn't broadening the syllabus, this is a massive shame.  Is American literature really what's wrong with the education system?

EDIT: so it's results day and I had a C in English...perhaps I should've delayed this article slightly..

0 comments: