books i read on holiday

Hello friends, so you may know from these posts here and here and probably some more, or you may know because you stalk me, who am I to judge, that I love to read.  Whilst on holibobs (what) I had a lot of time to chill so I took advantage of it and read.  It's September now but yanoo, better late than never.

  1. The Bell Jar/Sylvia Plath - dubbed the second most depressing book ever written.  Dun..dun...dUhhhH!  It's about a girl called Esther who gets an internship (win) at a fashion magazine (double win) in New York (triple full whammy win) but isn't enthralled by the big city and the magazine (not win), it is a sad story, especially when Esther attempts suicide but I don't love her mothers attitude, I understand how it was set at a time when mental illness was much less understood, but still.  I also find it sad as Plath herself has written this as a roman-a-clef somewhat, using much of her own life as inspiration, moreover, she actually did commit suicide only a month after the book's UK publication.  I am reading this for my A-Level English Literature coursework so I think the fact I am being forced to read it did not help, but when I gave myself time it only took three days to start and finish. 
  2. Looking for Alaska/John Green - I am using this alongside The Bell Jar and Emily Dickinson poetry for my coursework.  I have already read Looking for Alaska once but this time it only took me two days so I found it much more powerful, I undeniably felt emotional the first time but this was something else (I'm trying not to spoil it).  I found the before and after technique much more poignant and felt I could take in things like that a lot more.  I love John Green's work, and if you don't follow him on twitter, you should...HERE. Also, my fabulous friend Cameron has reviewed it here.
  3. Mockingjay/Suzanne Collins - The third in the incredible Hunger Games trilogy, Mockingjay does not disappoint.  I read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire in very quick succession a good few months before the release of the first film (it took a lot of encouragement, Sophie wouldn't let me read Looking for Alaska until I had read them, "it's about fairies!" I said, "it's really not" she said "read them now before everyone does", or something to that tune, and she had a point) and never got around to Mockingjay so I thought I probably should.  No better time than the present.  Basically, if you haven't read the trilogy you need to, now.  Instantly.  
  4. One Day/David Nicholls - I actually bought this for my friend Alys in our secret Santa along with the DVD and a mug with some other little night in essentials, when she told me how good it was I just could not resist asking if I could borrow her copy, which I should probably give back.  I really loved the book, it's very me, I'm a sucker for a love story.  






0 comments: