#NYFW

Of course, last week was New York Fashion Week, one of the most prestigious events in the fashion calendar, and what a week it was.  NYFW (or, since 2009 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week) started in 1943 to detract attention from France in World War two because the press couldn't travel there, this resulted in more American designers being noticed and advertised.  The event was and still is invitation-only.  Due tot he fact I live in Wales, I'm new at this and am still in school, obviously, I wasn't there, however, Vogue America provided videos of any fashion show they went to, thank you, Vogue.


One of the designers praised most was Marc Jacobs, Kelly Osbourne claiming that he produced his "best show in years".  There was a a lot of humbug and monochrome...and mirrors.  The mirrors were fun and everything, but stripes AND mirrors?! It was like the models never ended, like conjoined twins...maybe you had to be there.  Lots of skirt suits, which don't get me wrong, I love, but the skirts were worn on the hips and when the jackets open...that just doesn't look cool.  I really loved the jackets and coats, typical winter looks, almost poncho like but a lot more fashionable.  I thought the use of different textures was great, normal cottons, knits (cropped Mickey Mouse jumper is the best), PVC, sequins, all look so wonderful next to one another on the catwalk.

Vera Wang's line was absolutely gorgeous, a distinct bridal, oriental edge was evident through the first few outifts to walk down the runway.  I'll start with the shoes.  Amazing.  They looked like ballet dancers who were gliding around en pointe when in reality they were wearing some of the highest, pointiest heels ever!  Is that a skill? I think it is.  Firstly we had the white skirts and dresses, I love the tulips skirt, it's a really flattering look I think, and easy to pull off!  The blues were next, with an baroque side to them, really lovely.  Purples came soon after in an aray of dresses from plum to lilac, definitely prom or bridesmaid material!  And finally, a repetition of what we saw previously in greens.  Toward the end we see some sequin, some lace and some more adventurousness, and peek off Wang herself, not wanting to be in the spotlight for too long.  I really loved this line, a lot more wearable than many of the others.

And finally, Chloe Norgaard's hair....need I say anymore?  Amazing.





















Thank you!
Ellie x

0 comments: