i went to reading festival




HIYA
I got back on Monday from a long weekend at Reading Festival (for those who are unaware - the oldest popular musical festival in existence).  The festival was headlined by Paramore/Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, Arctic Monkeys on Saturday and Blink 182 on the Sunday.





I eventually packed on Tuesday night, which was both uncharacteristically and uncomfortably last minute of me.  I took the basics, clothes, food and a tent.  There really wasn't anything else I could've needed and if worst case scenario stuck there was an on site supermarket and a Tesco (with on site DJs) about ten minutes away.  





After arriving on Wednesday evening and participating in a quick trip to tesco involving a meal deal (with the only crisps left in stock - cheese and onion) and some cocktails we settled for the night with our camp chairs surrounding a growing pile of rubbish.  

I woke at 8am on Thursday morning after the coldest nights sleep of my life, just as the sun shone through my tent.  Due to my tent backing onto a group of other campers I was lured into the false belief my campmates were already awake - I was wrong by about an hour and went on the hunt for my friends who were also there and suitably washing down breakfast with strongbow.  It was a long day but we hunted around the festival and ate THE best pizza from one of the stalls, Hawaiian goodness.  

And then on Friday, after another 8am wake up, the music began...




Kate Tempest



Jake Bugg


Blink 182


Imagine Dragons


Vampire Weekend


Peace


Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

Altogether I saw:
  • Kate Tempest
  • Slaves
  • Eagulls
  • The Orwells
  • Catfish and the Bottlemen
  • Fat White Family
  • Paramore
  • Palma Violets
  • The Courteeners

  • Circa Waves
  • Royal Blood
  • Peace
  • The Hives
  • Imagine Dragons
  • Jake Bugg
  • Arctic Monkeys

  • Saint Raymond
  • Drowners
  • Emily's Army
  • Pup
  • The Kooks
  • Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
  • Blink 182


So far everyone has asked who my favourite has been, and that is so hard to answer, I thought a list was the best way to conquer it....

  1. Arctic Monkeys - I have always been a big fan of Arctic Monkeys and they did not disappoint me at all.  Alex Turner is probably the coolest person ever.  They performed a mix of classics like 'When the Sun Goes Down' and 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor' to songs off AM like 'Snap Out Of It' and 'No.1 Party Anthem' and the crowd sang along to everyone, it was incredible.  I've watched it three times on iPlayer and I'm not even ashamed.
  2. Vampire Weekend  I'm not sure what I was expecting when I saw them but much like Alex Turner, Ezra Koenig is SO cool.  They sounded exactly how they do on record and I was shocked at how how many of their songs I knew.  Such a good band for a shameless dance and singalong.
  3. Imagine Dragons - Awesome.  I've heard mixed reviews from other people but honestly I thought they were amazing.
  4. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Never thought I would include these on the list.  The was furore when they were announced but that didn't stop a good turnout in the crowd.  Macklemore had the crowd in the palm of his hand and brought out both Fences and Schoolboy Q.  Ryan Lewis was also interactive with the crowd which was unusual to see for a producer, a producer who Macklemore was actually very open in his gratitude for.  It was so lovely to see.
  5. Last but not least I'm going to go with The Orwells - I haven't really listened to The Orwells before but the frontman was so fun to watch.  He had a laugh on stage and you knew he was enjoying himself.   
That was hard, I wasn't particularly disappointed with anyone I saw, if I was to be particularly fussy I would say that Blink 182 weren't great, a sing-a-long was fun but not much more than that.





Here I am enjoying how much it rained when we had to pack up on the Monday...to clarify, this was before the 50 minute hunt for my Dad in Reading town.  I was grinning less by the end of that...


And finally....the highlight of my whole weekend....I MET GREG JAMES.  AGHHHHGHHGHGHGH.  LITERALLY.  NO WORDS.  I was suitably embarrassing and cringe-worthy but I met Greg James so I don't care.  I'm smilling just writing this.  I love him so much.  As I sprinted to him one of the boys I was with told me I hadn't move that fast all weekend.  It's true.

On that note - I'm going to go and catch up on sleep......bye!  











0 comments: