I'm Obsessed with the Mess That's America

Around this time last year I was in the middle of making my GCSE textiles piece, so I thought I'd show you all while stressing over my AS corset!  My brief was to design and make a 'special events garment' based on another culture, I chose a waistcoat (for a TV show final, like American Idol) based on the USA.  I only really chose a waistcoat because I knew it was fairly simple to put together meaning I could focus on the décor! I used Ashish Gupta as inspiration.  


I did a layered frill around the collar, studding, buttons, patchwork, printing, piping, an epaulette, and a belt! 



I lined the waistcoat with my fabric left over from the frills, I was so lucky to have so much left!  The centre is printed with images from Barack Obama's first presidential campaign.


The buckle here is taken from an old belt of my own!

I hope you like it - I'd love to hear your opinions or what you're making for textiles!






now playing - breezeblocks/alt-J - you and i/lady gaga - drops of jupiter/train - lolita/lana del rey

0 comments: